I was asked by Mocha Club to write about the concept of why "I need Africa more than Africa needs me." Mocha Club is a community-based website where members can start a team a invite friends to join them in giving $7 a month – the cost of 2 mochas – to support a project in Africa. Mocha Club's vision is to provide a way for people who don't have hundreds or thousands of dollars to make a difference in Africa. If you know me well then you know that about three years ago something in my life dramatically changed. Without any specific reason why I began to feel an inescapable pull toward Africa. I've gone through different phases over the past few years ranging from feeling completely uncomfortable in our abundant culture to wanting to buy a luxury car or a house, from wanting to pick up and move to Africa to knowing that I can't afford it, from worrying about who/what/when/how can I get there to being frustrated that it has taken years and I still haven't been able to go or have a plan to go. As all of these thoughts run through my brain a million times a day in a million different ways I've really been able to rest in the peace the God has a plan for me. A plan that is bigger and better than all of the hundreds of possible scenarios I've run through my mind. I know this because recently He's been starting to open doors and form new connections that I could never have imagined. He's slowly but surely narrowing down my focus for what I specifically am gifted to do. I am fully pursuing going to Africa next summer (2009) and although at this point there are many many unknowns I will keep pursuing these opportunities until He closes all of the doors. I need Africa more than Africa needs me because I know selfishly that giving of my time, money, knowledge, effort, prayers, hard work, education, and love will bring me a sense of fulfillment. I selfishly know that giving of myself and being obedient in that way will bring a sense of contentedness – surely not every day or minute – but overall, contentedness. I know that I will be freed of the materialistic pull of Dallas and America at least for a moment. That I won't have to daily fight against the desire to buy a new car or fill my closet and room with meaningless stuff. I will be able to impact those who I shared life and friendship with here when I go. I might find time to be silent and sit still. I am only one person and can only make the impact of one person so while Africa maybe does need me she only needs me as much as she can need one person. However, being able to make a difference no matter how microscopic to that great continent will mean the world to me. Share your thoughts in my comments section and even blog about it yourself if you have a strong opinion. Join in the worthwhile cause of recasting the damaging images that force pity over partnership. Come back December 1 to see what Mocha Club is doing about reforming that image.
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
i need africa more than africa needs me
Melissa Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (RSS)

2 Responses:
I, the unfortunately infrequent reader of blogs because I forget they even exist and am therefore a bad friend at times, love your thoughts. After being a part of the last 2.25 out of 3 years of your search for what africa means to you and vice versa I'm confident that God has something amazing. I cannot wait to see what you learn/experience/encounter when you make your trip!
I love your thoughts too, and think we should definitely talk more about this! :)
Post a Comment